Thursday, August 30, 2007

First Blood!

So yes, I played my first ever Warmachine game at PAX this weekend, and it was great. The depth and complexity of the gameplay were instantly seen upon actually playing and, most importantly, I think I had more fun in the battlebox game than any 1000 point 40k game I've played, but I digress.

My opponent had actually not brought his Menoth force to the con, but he said he'd been eyeing Trollbloods for a while, so bought em and we played as soon as the glue was dry (everyone else was playing league games, so, yeah.)

We followed setup rules, and I won the initiative roll, choosing to deploy and have my turn second, which didn't end up making much difference. Initially I wanted to keep some distance from him to utilize my Destroyer's Bombard, but then I got slammed by a couple of his spear crits, so that was definitely a bad decision.

My 'jacks shrugged off a lot of damage, and the worst of it was a disabled open fist on the (I'm the) Juggernaut (bitch!). His trolls took quite a beating from me, but were resilient as hell.

We traded some blows, I was a bit too forward with Sorscha which resulted in her getting some damage, while he kept Madrak towards the back. Finally, I popped her feat and got his warlock, one Impaler, and the Axer frozen! (Yup, I remembered the new LOS rule). I rushed in with the 'jacks and Sorcha, killed his Axer, and did an enormous amount of damage against his warlock, killing him.

We thought the game was over, but then he read the rule about skipping a damage source on Madrak, and after a failed last attack by Sorcha (Damn you regeneration!), he was still alive.

I thought next turn would be uneventful, as he only had one Impaler able to activate. The Impaler threw his spear at my Juggernaut, rolled a crit, slammed him on top of Sorcha and the other Impaler.

And so, Kommander Sorscha was crushed by 9 tons of iron.
The game was a back and forth, and definitely had an exciting climax, so thanks to my opponent, Piratey. Unfortunately I won't get to play him until next PAX, but then he'll have an expanded Trollbloods force, or his Menoth army, but similarly I will have a larger force and some experience, so the battle shall be epic. After this awesome gameplay experience I am definitely coming down when my LGS finishes moving so I can play more games.

~Max

No comments:

All WARMACHINE (R) logos, places, things, character names and likeness, and images are TM or (C) property of Privateer Press, Inc.