Tuesday, September 18, 2007

A Little Variety

So I went to check out my other LGS, Genesis Games and Gizmos, and was pleasantly surprised with people actually playing WM/Hordes there! I played a great 400 point game which enabled me to field all of my forces. I also decided to try something new and use the Butcher.

Faction: Khador
Army Points: 390/400

Butcher of Khardov
-Destroyer
-Juggernaut
Manhunter
Greylord Ternion
Winterguard Mortar Crew

Faction: Circle Orboros
Army Points: 389/400

Baldur the Stonecleaver
Pureblood Warpwolf
Woldwarden
Druids of Orboros

I ended up winning, but honestly, the game came down to dice rolls: my Circle opponent charged the Butcher with Baldur, and was 1 point short of killing him. The next turn, the Butcher easily did the job with 6 focus. The game was great fun, and a learning experience for both of us. Here's some highlights from the game:
  • Circle can do a great job of shutting out my warjacks (neither got to field their melee weapons!) He put up some great defensive spells, and I was unable to charge, and definitely would have gotten a fierce counter-charge if I had tried.
  • Scattering mortars aren't all that bad (3 druids in one shot, ouch).
  • The Butcher's Howl can be useful, and his melee power is amazing (He did the 24+4d6 charge, wiping out the Woldwarden), but his support leaves something to be desired, and he is hard to hide.
  • Be more aggressive with Greylords and Manhunter! I was a bit shy to commit either of these units into combat, but I charged the Butcher first chance I got. It worked (barely!), but it is definitely not the best way to go. Oh, and don't forget to cast Blizzard on friendlies all the time, but after their activation.
  • When each side has 2 or more scattering, low RAT weapons, it gets to be a paint figuring it out :P
Anyways the game was great fun, and I'm glad I now have two LGS to play at, especially considering my university schedule will probably keep me from being a super regular player.

~Max

No comments:

All WARMACHINE (R) logos, places, things, character names and likeness, and images are TM or (C) property of Privateer Press, Inc.