Friday, September 14, 2007

Let it Snow

Yes, it is too early for Christmas, but the title is in reference to me finally trying out using baking powder as snow for basing, and frost on the Ice Axe and Frostfang. It works out great - the granules are much smaller than real snow, so look suited for the miniatures. Obviously I'm not full on basing the models yet - the plan is rubble > static grass > snow. On casters, jacks and solos I'll probably throw in rock + flock moss in there as well.

Wednesday was a day that brought glorious victory to the Khadoran Empire! Philodox took pictures, so you'll probably find the complete battle report soon somewhere in the PA forums. The battle was a three way duel between the soulless Everblight fiends of the Far North, the brutal Menoth Protectorate, and the ever vigilant Khadoran Northern border patrol. Anyway, Sorscha performed miraculously. Kreoss was wounded by a well placed Bombard, and then executed promptly with a Handcannon shot from the Kommander herself. Afterwards, as things began to look grim with the Juggernaut out of commission, Sorscha zoomed across the board, froze, and subsequently destroyed the unfortunately separated Lylyth.

Impressed with her performance I went ahead and picked up the Butcher. Honestly it was between that and a Circle Warpack, but I have too many unpainted models, and not enough money and time. I will wait for a better opportunity when I have more free time, probably next summer.

As for the Butcher I decided to try out priming him white, and I'm a little undecided on the result. First of all, the model seemed to prime much better than with black, and lighter colors become so much easier. Second, I was hoping to get a brighter Blood Red armor with the white undercoat, but the resulting red turned out WAY too bright, at least the way it looks now. I want him to stand out but not too much, so I'll keep plugging away and see what comes out.

Some other new stuff, I finished one Greylord Ternion and now I will paint the rest at the same time as I have figured out the scheme. I think it's pretty effective and I'll post photos when the entire squad is complete. As for the Butcher I will probably make slow and careful progress on him as I'm working on the rest of the stuff, as I want to field a fully painted army as soon as I can.

Finally I have begun coloring the front arc of the model bases Red Gore, as it looks pretty neat and gives the army a little sense of unity. I can always repaint it black if it doesn't look good after basing.

~Max

No comments:

All WARMACHINE (R) logos, places, things, character names and likeness, and images are TM or (C) property of Privateer Press, Inc.